Limited in quantity, the 1988 300CE AMG Hammer is a rare find. Built by Mercedes-Benz and modified by AMG prior to the merger. The 3.0-liter 177-hp 6-cylinder 300E originally sold for $39,000 (W124 body style). For $17,000, AMG would replace that 3-liter unit with the 5.5-liter V8 from the 560 SEC after adding 32-valve cylinder heads and twin camshafts. During 1988, additional options included:
- $39,950 – AMG bored out the 5.6-litre to 6.0-liters
- $33,302 – upgraded rear differential, Gleason-Torsion LSD, stronger rear sub-frame, plus more chassis modifications
- $14,170 – upgraded AMG suspension, 17 inch chrome wheels/tires, AMG interior package, etc.
- $18,000 labor charge
- Total package cost in 1988: around $162,000.
The following pictures and information were provided by the AMG’s owner (2007):
Original owner was professional baseball player Robert Deer:
- Rob Deer is famous for hitting the game-tying home run on Easter Sunday in 1987 to give the Milwaukee Brewers their 12th straight win to start the season. The home run was featured on the cover of Sports Illustrated.
- June 6, 1978: Drafted by the San Francisco Giants in the 4th round of the 1978 amateur draft.
- San Francisco Giants (1984-1985), Milwaukee Brewers (1986-1990), Detroit Tigers (1991-1992), Boston Red Sox (1993), San Diego Padres (1996)
THIS CAR IS NOT AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE/SALE – THE INFO IS FOR HISTORICAL REFERENCE FOR THOSE INTERESTED.