AMGmarket.com News: Mercedes-Benz recently released the 2013-2014 Driving Events Program information. Here’s the full press release for those interested (Source: Daimler):
The new Driving Events from Mercedes-Benz for the 2013/2014 season offer participants thrills galore and the height of driving enjoyment while honing their driving skills. The comprehensive program spans the range from driving safety to adrenaline-charged race circuit training and breath-taking trips – according to participants’ driving standards and personal expectations. Professional instructors are on hand to help raise driving skills to a new level. The vehicles are provided for the most part by Mercedes-Benz – the latest saloons, coupés, roadsters and off-roaders. The AMG Driving Academy complements this line-up with high-powered, thrilling and inspiring experiences in high-performance vehicles.
Driving training has a long tradition at Mercedes-Benz. Gottlieb Daimler’s sons carried out the first driving training courses over 100 years ago. The Mercedes-Benz Driving Events program for the 2013/2014 season offers much more, comprising 36 different events at 22 selected locations worldwide. The program spans safety, sports and Eco training – on- and off-road, in the summer and on snow and ice in the winter. The Mercedes-Benz Driving Events offer special highlights in the form of fascinating exclusive trips, on which Mercedes-Benz off-road vehicles tackle the South American jungle, high mountain passes in the Andes, the bizarre landscape of the Atacama Desert or dirt roads in the Namibian wilderness, for example.
Safe driving and effortless superiority at the wheel
Driving safety training forms the core of the Driving Events program from Mercedes-Benz. There are on and off-road events for both summer and winter. In the summer they take place in Germany on well-known race circuits such as the Nürburgring, the Sachsenring or the Hockenheimring, at disused airfields and challenging, specially prepared practice sites. In the winter, the snow-covered destinations are located in Austria, Switzerland and close to the Arctic Circle in the Swedish province of Lapland with its frozen-over lakes.
On the driving safety training courses the participants are acquainted with typical dangerous situations at on and off-road locations and practice appropriate reactions to the attendant dangers. With this range of training covering virtually every need at reasonable prices – the half-day Compact training for 18 to 25 year-olds costs only 95 euros, for example, while the Basic training for young drivers is available at 295 euros – Mercedes-Benz aims to reach as many drivers as possible. Ultimately, the assured control of the vehicle which is imparted in the training courses benefits not only Mercedes drivers, but all road users. And every accident is one accident too many.
The target group for the various courses is correspondingly diverse, ranging from those who have recently passed their driving test through experienced drivers to professionals. The sole requirement is that the driver must hold a class 3/class B driving license.
The key driving safety training courses:
Compact training: on this half-day course, participants find out how an accident can be prevented effectively. Exercises include full brake application combined with an evasive maneuver, and a slalom course. Compact training is also available as a reasonably-priced special training event for 18 to 25-year-olds.
- Basic training: as part of this one-day event, the participants learn how dangerous situations can be dealt with safely and confidently with support from active control systems. The demanding program of lessons includes taking evasive action without braking from 80 km/h, emergency braking and correcting skidding vehicles.
- Advanced training: this extension course provides additional solutions for dealing with hazardous situations at higher speeds – such as emergency braking at 100 km/h or controlling a tail-end skid on a wet bend.
- Perfection training: here exercises are conducted at high speeds. For example, participants learn how to keep their vehicle under control during an emergency lane change maneuver at motorway speeds of 130 km/h. In addition, challenging drift exercises on famous race tracks are also on the agenda.
- Eco training: during this half-day event, participants undertake simple practical and theoretical exercises to learn how to reduce fuel consumption by handling their car more efficiently. On average, those who complete the Eco training course subsequently use 15 percent less fuel, without foregoing any enjoyment at the wheel.
- Pro driver training basic and advanced: this event enables professional drivers to enhance their driving skills. The program includes performing an evasive maneuver at 100 km/h in a predefined direction through a set of traffic lights, emergency braking scenarios and correcting a tail-skidding vehicle at motorway speed, for example. Driving practice is complemented by theoretical exercises tailored to the specific profession with trainers who also instruct police task forces.
- Off-road events: at a variety of off-road driving training events participants are able to discover what an off-road vehicle is capable of and how to keep such a vehicle under control both on and off the road. In addition to basic training, additional stages are available such as advanced training, enhanced training and extreme training. Winter
off-road training events: in the spacious stone quarry outside Kitzbühel, participants are able to get to grips with difficult terrain at half- or full-day training events using G-, GL-, GLK- and M-Class vehicles.
A grounding in motor racing
The program also includes a Sports training course for highly ambitious drivers. This provides racing enthusiasts with a unique opportunity to experience driving from a racing driver’s perspective. They learn how to control vehicles at the critical limits, for example, enabling them to react with greater composure and more prudently in dangerous situations. They also practice finding the ideal line and the optimum braking point. As a brand new feature, participants in the Sports training course now have an opportunity to acquire the national A-class license.
Thrills and excitement galore
The Fascination Tours focus on experiences that are out of the ordinary. An excursion on smart e-bikes to the Klimahaus in Bremerhaven, for example, where participants can experience all types of climatic zones and explore the secrets of the weather, the climate and climate protection. A quite different but similarly thrilling experience is offered by the “Driving Air Tour”, for example, on which participants take to the air in a Cessna or Piper and also get their turn at the controls en route from Wilhelmshaven to Norderney and Emden.